Many people forcibly displaced from Artsakh and relocated to Armenia, were unable to bring their essential ...
Last updated: 19.04.2023
Assisting the energy system of Artsakh
The project includes:
- acquisition and installation of diesel generators and electric batteries at key points of the pumped water supply system of Stepanakert and the regions of Artsakh
- acquisition of portable solar power generators [for field use]
- purchase of wood stoves for families in need, medical and educational institutions
The blockade of Artsakh has resulted in shortages of not only food, but also energy. Since January 9, 2023, the supply of electricity from Armenia to Artsakh has been erratic, and currently, the supply of energy is facilitated through very limited domestic resources. The gas supply is also constantly interrupted. Faced with frigid winter conditions, the population of Artsakh (120,000) has been severely affected by the lack of energy and gas supply. In the absence of these critical resources, low-income families are unable to heat their homes, therefore, to ease their situation, wood stoves will be provided to them as part of the project. The stoves will also be given to hospitals, schools and other educational institutions.
There is a pumping water supply system in Stepanakert, the pressure for which is created by electric pumps. In the case of a 4-hour power outage, more than a third of the city’s residents are deprived of water. This project envisions the installation of emergency generators for the water supply system.
A similar situation exists in other regions of Artsakh. The existing mobile generators of the department responsible for water supply to the regions outside Stepanakert need to be equipped with additional electric batteries. The implementation of the project will help achieve an increase in domestic production in emergency situations.
In case of the need to use electronic devices in the field, portable solar generators make it possible to always have communication facilities (telephone, walkie-talkie), computer, and other devices at hand at special facilities.
- Ensuring uninterrupted water supply to Stepanakert in the absence of electricity
- Replenishing the pumping water supply system of the regions with electric batteries for mobile power generators in order to increase reliability
- Providing the Government of Artsakh with the ability to rely on the use a number of technical means and devices in the field
- Providing more than 1,000 low-income families, as well as medical and educational institutions in Stepanakert with wood stoves